facebook Twitter Flirk i-voox YouTube



Heritage, culture and traditions


PLACE NAME:  Nuestra Señora de los Ángeles Parish Church
CHRONOLOGY:  16th Century

The outside of the church is picturesque with different styles of architecture, very typical in Aragón and is built in brick. It may seem burdensome and disorganized because it has undergone many transformations.
Two well defined moments in the history of the masonry can be seen in this church:

  • Mudejar
  • Baroque

The original mudejar structure has a single nave, straight and polygonal apse and an elevation through corner squinches and two stretches with side chapels between buttresses. One of these stretches, the third, is larger because it's an extension within the Mudejar phase. Everything is covered by starred rid vaults.

During the baroque period there was change in the orientation (180º) and it underwent an extension: a crossing with a dome and a new chancel; deep and a polygonal floor plan.

Currently the entrance is originally the earliest apse and the original door, which is located the southern side, was walled up.

This church now has a nave of four stretches with chapels between the buttresses, an entrance at street level of baroque style and of the same style we find in the transept, with a clearly marked floor plan, a dome and chancel, deep and polygonal , from there, you can access a small sacristy on the left side.
Behind the high altar is the choir with seating and the lectern.

The historical data known is that the first construction stage finished around 1570 with a mudejar style.  In 1574, the choir was under construction while in 1685, the orientation of the church was changed and expanded, and in 1765, the portal is opened, and the original one walled up.

The tower has a square base, which reaches 15 meters using the same temple walls that form the corner of "la Calle Mayor" of Plaza de España. In order to raise its masonry, the vault of the chapel was broken that was in that corner.
The building material is brick and the decoration is projected brick used in the tower and in the southern wall. Transepts of multiple arms predominate, forming diamond shapes, on the front of the church and in the tower forming blades and highlighted small polygons strung in vertical stripes.

It resembles a more generalized model in the second half of the 16th century.
Its second unit is octagonal and has buttresses on the sides of the octagon and each side of the tower, divided into two floors, linked by pointed arches and filled with low arches and in a subtle subdivision into three zones each of the floors.
It was part of the first construction stage of the church completed in 1570. The upper part around 1754-55, at the time of renewal of the tower. This decoration has a bulbous baroque capital. In the 19th century, the clock was added.



Every night at the swimming pool complex there are different performances: theatre, folklore groups, orchestras...


For a week, functions and conferences are organized. At the end of the week, there's a popular meal at la Virgen del Águila Hermitage.


For many years, the day of San Juan in Paniza is celebrated on June 24. There is a procession in the afternoon which ends in the main square of the town. Everyone meets to dance accompanied by the municipal band.

This dance has its origin from when the migrating shepherds returned to the town after having spent winter in warmer places. At that time, people collected the "flor de San Juan" and shepherds danced during the processions from the church to Santa Quiteria hermitage, carrying an image of the saint.

Moreover, tradition has it that on the same date there was an electrical storm that wiped out wheat and grape harvests causing great damages in the roofs of houses. In consequence, the town agreed to organize an event of atonement dedicated to San Juan.

Initially, the procession went to the Santa Quiteria hermitage while dancing. Currently, with the evolution of  the dance this dedication to the saint, has been abbreviated, dedicating its dances in the main square of the town.
Los Hermanos de San Juan is a brotherhood in charge of preserving this tradition. A prior is chosen and he prepares the events for the day before the feast. Over the last years, they have made bonfires and rum burning.



More known as "Pan de la Virgen" This bread has been prepared form many years by a family of bakers in Paniza, "La familia Julián". It has history because the parents of the current owners already started this activity. The bread is made on two occasions:

  • March 19 during the pilgrimage to the sanctuary of "La Virgen de Águila"
  • April 23

The bread accompanies chorizo sausages in the meal break "La Carrasca" and once blessed it's given to the people from the town after the mass.

The tradition began in a time when hunger was rampant in the region. Thus, the town hall ordered to make this bread for festivities like San José and San Jorge, so that those people who could not eat it, had the chance to enjoy the bread that day because they couldn't afford it. Since then, these deeply rooted traditions still remain for everybody to enjoy.

Its preparation is the following:

The ingredients are flower, anis and water.
First of all, the mixture is kneaded as usual with other types of bread. With the mixture some balls are made that are left fermenting during a half an hour and when its nearly ready, the roscón is made. This consists of making a hole with your hands, while widening it carefully so that it is not divided.

Afterwards, the upper part is covered with oil and from the inside part of this roscón is rolled with fingers until its stretched to cover the roscón. Finally it is baked in the oven.

These ingredients are needed to make it:

  • Flour
  • Water
  • Leavening
  • Salt
  • And the main ingredient which defines its name: sticks of anis.

The ingredients are simple but only the hands of artisans and the precision of these backers achieve to give a unique and durable taste.

Apart from the anis bread, other famous products inside and outside of Cariñena are worth trying.


Nueva, 25
+34 976 622 656

Le informamos que en el transcurso de su navegación por la Web de la D.O.P. Cariñena, se utilizan cookies propias y de terceros (ficheros de datos anónimos), las cuales se almacenan en el dispositivo del usuario, de manera no intrusiva. Estos datos se utilizan exclusivamente para habilitar algunas interacciones de la navegación en un sitio Web, y acumulan datos que pueden ser actualizados y recuperados. En el caso de que usted siga navegando por nuestro sitio Web implica que acepta el uso de las cookies indicadas. Puede obtener más información, o bien conocer cómo cambiar la configuración, en nuestra sección Política de cookies.